Hi! My name is Kristi Crane and I would first like to tell you a little about myself. I’m a school counselor, married with a toddler, who LOVES thrifting affordable fashion and style. I’m a consumer who tries to shop second-hand for environmental and personal reasons (i.e. cheaper goods!). There are many ways to shop Goodwill and make it a successful shopping trip: Most of the time, I prefer to wander the aisles aimlessly for hours, which is usually when I have the most luck! (This luxury does not come as often as I would hope, because I have a two-year-old) Another way is, to shop for an occasion. Shopping for something specific can also be a great way to get started if you are new to thrifting. In this post I’m going to give my take on how to find the perfect, simple outfit for the 4th of July! These tips and tricks are how I typically shop for any holiday, event or occasion.
1. I tend to need a little inspiration when I’m looking for something specific to wear, whether it be an outfit for a birthday party, wedding, or in this case, Independence Day! I created a hashtag on Instagram #thisinspiredthat because it helps me use what I have in my closet, and it inspires me during my Goodwill shopping ventures. Below are a few images that I found while searching on Google and Pinterest. I tend to go for more subtle looks (rather than combining red, white and blue, I prefer to just pick two of the colors). Sometimes I find an almost identical outfit, and other times I use the images to help get my creative juices flowing (what are creative juices anyways?!?!).
2. Go to a Goodwill near you. We are lucky enough to have 3 locations near us that I typically have pretty good luck with. My “go-to” stores are: Southland in Middleburg Heights, Snow Rd. in Brookpark and Strongsville. I think all Cuyahoga County stores are well stocked and have a good variety for everyone.
3. Shop all sizes….yes ALL of them! I always start in my size but then I look in all the other sizes too! If you’re a size large, do not skip the smaller sizes. If you’re an extra small, don’t skip the larger sizes! I’ve found great pieces that were mismarked, ran big/small, and items placed in the wrong size section. If I didn’t look in all of the sizes, I wouldn’t have found some of the items I own now! Other hacks...if you’re smaller, check the larger kids section, and also check mens….you never know what goodies you will find.
4. Pull everything that might work and have a little try-on session!! I try on all pieces before I take anything home. I don’t have time to make returns, so I make sure I love it first. Here are all my looks:
5. Pictured was everything I found solely at the Strongsville location. I ended up purchasing the ladybug striped top, chambray dress, an alternative blue tee that is not pictured (it was half off!), a white ruffle blouse, a window pain chambray, AND ...bonus, I also found white jeans!!!! WHAT?!?! I will also pair some of these pieces with skirts, shorts, red sandals etc. Please use these or other inspiration photos to create your own look! Use the #thisinspiredthat on IG and show us what you come up with! Happy 4th of July!