Goodwill Industries of Greater Cleveland and East Central Ohio, Inc., formed by the merger of two Goodwills in 2005, provides numerous programs and services to individuals throughout Cleveland, East Central Ohio and a portion of West Virginia.
Before uniting in 2005, each organization (Goodwill Industries of Greater Cleveland and Goodwill Industries of East Central Ohio, Inc.) carried a proud history and establishment of its own serving the communities for 90 years.
Goodwill Industries of Greater Cleveland began empowering people within the Cleveland community in 1918. In the beginning, the organization opened its doors at an old factory located on Thackery Street, on Cleveland's eastside. In 1972, Goodwill moved its Programs and Services facility to 2295 East 55th, directly in the heart of Cleveland's inner city. Today, you can find Goodwill present in downtown Cleveland at 1360 East 9th Street.
Goodwill Industries of East Central Ohio, Inc., first began serving mission at a facility located on the corner of 3rd Street and Cherry Avenue SE in Canton, Ohio under the name Union Mission. In 1926 the organization changed its name to reflect its Goodwill assocation (Goodwill Union Mission and Industries). In 1972, Goodwill headquarters moved to its present location at 408 Ninth St. SW in Canton.
The new Goodwill serves the 10-county territory of Cuyahoga, Geauga, a portion of Lake, Stark, Tuscarawas, Carroll, Harrison and Jefferson Counties in Ohio and Brooke and Hancock Counties in West Virginia. The organization is headquartered in Canton at the 408 Ninth St. facility, maintains Programs and Services facilities in Cleveland, Middleburg Heights, New Philadelphia and Wintersville, Ohio, and operates Retail Stores throughout its territory.